If you’re anything like me, chances are you’re busting your butt getting ready for finals this week (or will be doing so soon). Because of this, I haven’t been able to write as much as I’d like to lately – well, write things that aren’t essays or group-project papers, at least. That being said, I think all of us college kids could use a little pick-me-up as we struggle through the last few days of the semester.
Anyone who’s ever eaten Chinese food with me knows that I like to collect fortune cookie fortunes. Just this past week I got one that really stuck out to me:
This seemed like a pretty nice sentiment to keep in mind while gearing up for finals, so I decided to add it to my list of favorite quotes. A few months ago I started a page on the Notes app of my Macbook where I’ve been putting quotes that have stood out to me as I come across them online, in books, or anywhere else. While doing so, I found myself reading through the other quotes I’d added to the list over the last few months. I found myself feeling a lot more confident and motivated as I read through them, so I thought I’d share a few of my favorites here.
“Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim.”
– Nora Ephron, American writer and filmmaker. I think every girl needs to keep this in mind and remember that we’re a lot stronger than we give ourselves credit for.
“We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.”
– Martin Luther King Jr., American civil rights leader and activist.
“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”
– T.S. Eliot, American writer.
“You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world, and there’s still going to be somebody who hates peaches.”
– Dita von Teese, American performer and model. You’ll never please everybody, so don’t bother trying – instead, focus on the people who you know will always have your back.
“Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual.”
– Ernest Hemingway, American author and journalist. I’m not super familiar with much of his work, but this quote makes me think he had the right idea about life.
“The gray area, the place between black and white — that’s the place where life happens.”
– Justin Timberlake, American musician. Too often, I think we forget to stop and pay attention to the seemingly mundane aspects of everyday life. We don’t realize the significance of a moment until it becomes a memory.
“It is better to have one person working with you than three people working for you.”
– Dwight D. Eisenhower, American president
“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
– Kurt Vonnegut, American writer
“In this life, to earn your place you have to fight for it.”
– Shakira, Colombian musician. Because in the end, nobody else is going to do it for you.
“Life is mostly froth and bubble, but two things stand like stone/Kindness in another’s trouble and courage in your own.”
– Diana, Princess of Wales
“Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love, and to work, and to play, and to look up at the stars.”
– Henry van Dyke, American author. Again, it’s the little things.
“You can’t move mountains by whispering at them.”
– Pink, American musician. I think she’s so awesome, both as a singer and as a person, and this quote shows why.
“Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.”
– Marcus Aurelius, emperor of Ancient Rome
“I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.”
– Sarah Williams, English poet. I see this quote pop up on Pinterest from time to time and I absolutely love it.
“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”
– Oscar Wilde, Irish poet and playwright, and one of my absolute favorite writers of all time. We all have our problems in life, but it’s up to us to find the beauty in it. (Also, I’m noticing a theme here: I like quotes about stars, apparently.)
“I’ve often lost myself in order to find the burn that keeps everything awake.”
– Federico García Lorca, Spanish poet and playwright, who is quickly becoming another one of my favorite writers after I recently read some of his work for a class project. This guy had such a gorgeous and unique way with words.
“Walk with the dreamers, the believers, the courageous, the cheerful, the planners, the doers, the successful people with their heads in the clouds and their feet on the ground. Let their spirit ignite a fire within you to leave this world better than when you found it…”
– Wilferd Peterson, American writer. Whether you like it or not, the people you surround yourself with have an enormous impact on the person you are. Choose your friends wisely.
Now with all that being said (pun intended?), I should probably go get started on the final for my online marketing class. Good luck to all my fellow college kids – finish off strong!
Feel free to comment with your own favorite quotes, I’d love to add some more to my little collection 🙂